This Air Fryer Pigs in a Blanket recipe is a delicious appetizer you can make in your air fryer. This 3-ingredient recipe is a classic appetizer for a reason, they taste great! Make these party appetizers for Game Day, as a Christmas dinner appetizer, birthday parties, or as an anytime easy snack or dinner idea. This easy recipe is a great snack.
Easy Air Fryer Appetizer
When you want a quick lunch or a tasty snack recipe for yourself, the kids, or a party, this easy pigs in a blanket recipe hits the mark every time! A definite crowd pleaser.
Delicious bite-sized pigs in a blanket are fun to make, and are the perfect appetizer to enjoy with your favorite dip.
Who all ate these as kids? I did, and made them for my kids. That was a long time ago, and we baked ours in the oven. The air fryer makes it nice because you don't have to heat up the entire oven.
What is the Best Air Fryer to Use?
Air fryers have become super popular to make many delicious recipes, but it can be overwhelming to know which one to choose from the many models available.
To help you choose, I wrote an article with my picks for the 5 best air fryers of 2023, read it here.
Ingredients in This Simple Recipe
The simple ingredients in this Pigs-in-a-Blanket recipe are easy to find in the grocery store.
The air fryer is a great way to make this recipe (or use a Ninja Speedi), but they can also be oven baked.
• Tube of Refrigerated Crescent Rolls
• Hot Dogs - Cut in half or thirds, depending on how large they are (Or use mini sausage links).
• Egg - For an egg-wash for the dough (optional).
• Everything Bagel Seasoning - Optional, for added flavor.
See the printable recipe card below for the full recipe to see how easy it is to make these crescent dogs.
How to Air Fry Pigs in a Blanket
Here are the steps to make these air fryer crescent dogs:
1. Prepare the cocktail sausages by patting them dry with a paper towel and set aside. If using hot dogs, cut in half (or thirds if they are long).
2. Beat the egg in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Unroll the crescent roll dough and separate it into 8 triangles along the perforations. Using a pizza cutter, cut the crescent roll triangles lengthways into three even strips (narrow triangles). You will have 24 strips in total.
4. Wrap each of the cocktail sausages in a strip of dough, starting at the wide end, rolling to the shortest side of triangle.
5. Preheat the air fryer to 350°F for 5 minutes.
6. While the air fryer is heating, brush the dough around each sausage with the beaten egg. Sprinkle each with everything bagel seasoning, if using.
7. Place the wrapped sausages in an air fryer basket (sprayed with cooking spray) in a single layer ensuring they are not touching. Depending on the size of your air fryer you may need to cook them in two or three batches. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown (check them at shortest cooking time so they don't overcook).
Serve your pigs in a blanket warm or room temperature with your favorite dipping sauces!
What to Dip Pigs in a Blanket In
These are some of our favorite sauces to dip Air Fry Pigs in a Blanket in.
• BBQ Sauce
• Ranch Dip
• Honey Mustard Sauce
• Cheese Sauce or Queso
Substitutions & Variations
- Hot Dogs – instead of cocktail sausages, you could make these easy air fryer pigs with hot dogs cut in half or thirds.
Cocktail sausages also go by the names: cocktail weenies, little smokies, mini hotdogs, lil’ smokies, mini sausages, or mini dogs (they are basically all the same). They can be eaten in one or two little bites, so they work well for this recipe.
- Sausage Varieties – Instead of using traditional mini cocktail sausages, experiment with different types of sausages for unique flavors. You could try chicken sausages, turkey sausages, spicy sausages, or even vegetarian sausages for a meatless option.
- Crescent Dough – if you don’t have access to canned crescent rolls dough, you can also make these with puff pastry dough (Find it in the freezer section of the grocery store).
- Add Cheese – Slit the hot dog along one side and insert a thin piece of cheese before wrapping in the dough. Air fry as instructed.
Tips for This Recipe
- Do not add the egg wash or seasoning until just before air frying.
- Place any uncooked sausages in the refrigerator between cooking the batches.
- If you cannot find cocktail sausages you can you hotdogs instead. Just cut eat hotdog into halves or thirds (if they are long) and assemble as instructed above.
- Sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or granulated garlic can be used in place of the everything bagel seasoning, or leave them plain.
- Patting the cocktail sausages with a paper towel helps remove excess moisture and prevents the dough from getting soggy in the middle when cooked.
- Cutting the crescent roll dough is easiest with a pizza cutter on a cutting board. If you do not have a pizza cutter a long sharp knife will work fine.
- I used a 7qt air fryer to make my pigs in a blanket. I was able to fit 12 piggies comfortably in the basket allowing me to cook them all in two batches.
• Store your leftover air fryer pigs in a blanket in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
• When you’re ready to enjoy them, reheat them in the air fryer at 300°F for 3-4 minutes, and they will be crisp again.
Can These Be Made Ahead?
• Yes they can. Start by wrapping the hot dogs (or cocktail sausages) in the crescent dough and then freeze them. When you are ready to cook them, take the frozen pigs out of the freezer, straight into sprayed air fryer basket.
• When you air fry them, increase the cook time by a minute or two for each side, flipping halfway until golden brown.
Can I Bake These in the Oven?
Yes you can. Place prepared pigs in a blanket in a single layer on a baking sheet pan lined with a sheet of parchment paper. Bake them at 375°F for 11-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
More Delicious Air Fryer Appetizers
We have some tasty, easy air fryer recipes, so if you are looking for more quick and easy air fryer appetizer recipes be sure to check them out. Our Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings is a delicious, easy appetizer recipe, and so are our Air Fryer Mozzarella Balls and these yummy Air Fryer Pickles.
If you make this tasty air fryer appetizer recipe, please let me know. You can leave a comment below with a star rating. I'd love to know how you liked it.
Air Fryer Pigs in a Blanket are a delicious, easy appetizer that tastes great warm or at room temperature.
- 24 Cocktail Sausages (like Little Smokies)
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 8-ounce can Crescent Rolls (8 count)
- ½ Tablespoon Everything Bagel Seasoning, optional
Pat the cocktail sausages dry with a paper towel and set aside.
Beat the egg in a small bowl and set aside.
Unroll the crescent roll dough and separate it into 8 triangles along the perforations. Cut each triangle lengthways into three even strips. You will have 24 strips in total.
Wrap each of the cocktail sausages in one strip of dough.
Preheat the air fryer to 350°F. for 5 minutes
While the air fryer is heating, brush the dough around each sausage with the beaten egg. Sprinkle each with everything bagel seasoning, if using.
Place the sausages in the air fryer basket in a single layer, ensuring they are not touching. Depending on the size of your air fryer you may need to cook them in two or three batches. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauces.
If you cannot find cocktail sausages you can you hotdogs instead. Just cut eat hotdog into halves or thirds (if they are long) and assemble as instructed above.