Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos are a quick and easy meal! These delicious Air Fryer Taquitos are made of juicy, spicy creamy chicken and ooey, gooey cheese wrapped up in crispy corn tortillas and then air fried to a golden brown crunchy perfection. Taquitos are a tasty meal and will be your new favorite recipe.
Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos
Who doesn’t love those Chicken Taquitos you can grab in the freezer section of the grocery store?! They’re a simple quick snack or easy meal, ready in no time. But the ingredients used to make them aren’t the best and they’re deep-fried before they’re frozen.
The taquitos you order at a local Tex-Mex restaurant on taco Tuesday- so good, so tasty, but not the healthiest, and with the cost of eating out, they are also expensive.
So why not make your own taquitos fantastic homemade Air Fryer Taquitos? They’re even better tasting than those freezer ones, only use a little oil spray in the Air Fryer for a crispy fried texture and you know exactly what simple ingredients go in them (and can pronounce them all too!).
These Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos are the superior taquito for sure!
What Are Taquitos?
Taquitos means "little taco". These little tacos are like traditional tacos where they’re stuffed with cheesy chicken filling (or beef or other meat), cheese, and other ingredients and then rolled up nice and tight in a corn tortilla.
Traditional taquitos are then usually fried in a deep fryer. But ours a healthier and “fried” in an Air Fryer.
How To Make Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos
Gather together all of the ingredients. In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, chipotle, salt, cumin, paprika, and garlic powder.
Mix with a hand mixer until well combined.
Add the chicken and mix it it. Add the shredded cheese and mix in.
Wrap corn tortillas in a damp paper towel or put them on a plate with a bowl flipped upside down covering them. Heat them in the microwave for 30 seconds, if they aren’t warm and pliable, heat again for 10 second intervals, repeat as necessary.
Take out 1 tortilla at a time and put 2 Tablespoons of filling on one edge of the tortilla. Roll it up tight and place the seam side down in the Air Fryer basket. Don’t fill the taquitos with too much filling or they can’t be rolled nice and tight (Instead, you’ll serve them with things you may normally put on your classic tacos).
For best results, don’t let the rolled taquitos touch and only put them in a single layer, the fryer needs room to circulate the hot air around so they can get crispy on all sides. Spray taquitos with non-stick cooking spray.
Once the basket is filled, put the Taquitos in the Air Fryer and set it to 400°F for 5 minutes. Then flip the taquitos, spray again and fry for another 2-5 minutes. Check after the first 2 minutes to see how crispy they are, fry longer if needed.
Remove finished chicken taquitos and repeat with remaining homemade taquitos. Serve immediately.
How Long Do You Fry Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos?
• They will air fry for about 7-10 minutes, however the amount of time your Chicken Taquitos will need in the Air Fryer will depend on your Air Fryer Make and Model.
• You may also find that the size of your homemade chicken taquitos will vary the time needed to cook. Check on your taquitos as they cook and adjust time as necessary.
What to serve with Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos?
- Your Air Fryer Taquitos are perfect for dipping in your favorite sauce, try salsa, sour cream, salsa verde, or queso!
- You can serve black beans, pinto beans, refried beans, Mexican rice, pico de gallo, guacamole, and tamalito with your Air Fryer Taquitos.
- Air Fryer Crispy Chicken Taquitos would go well with Mexican Street Corn Salad and would be a complete meal with a nice bowl of Slow Cooker Mexican Corn Chicken Soup.
How To Store Leftover Homemade Chicken Taquitos
Any leftover taquitos should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Can You Freeze Air Fryer Taquitos?
You can freeze your taquitos by wrapping them in saran wrap and then aluminum foil and placing them in a freezer-safe bag for 2-3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat in the Air Fryer for a few minutes to get them back to a nice crispy taquito texture.
Recipe Tips and Variations
- These homemade taquitos would also be really tasty with this Mexican Shredded Chicken stuffed inside.
- Swap out the chicken for any ground beef, pork or turkey for other protein choices.
- Add in any of your other favorite veggies. Just remember you don’t want to add too much or they won’t roll up nice and tight.
- Keep them tightly rolled as you work in batches in the Air Fryer. If struggling, use a toothpick to help them stay closed.
- Check on your taquitos in the Air Fryer as they cook to ensure that they aren’t unrolling while cooking.
- Make sure your tortillas don’t crack as you fill and roll them.
- You can use flour tortillas in a punch but this will change the taste.
- You can also add shredded cheese for more cheesy flavor.
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings
Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos are a quick and easy dinner recipe that both kids and adults will fall in love with!
If you make these Air Fryer Taquitos, please let me know. Just leave a comment and a star rating below. I'd like to know how you like it.
- 3 cups Shredded Cooked Chicken, rotisserie is great
- 1 8-ounce block Cream Cheese
- 1 tablespoon Chipotle Sauce, or 2 Chipotles en Adobo Sauce
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 15 Corn Tortillas (or use flour)
- 2 cups Mexican Blend Cheese, or your choice
- Queso Fresco, for serving
- Salsa, for serving
- Mexican Crema, for serving
Combine the chicken, cream cheese, chipotle, salt, cumin, paprika, and garlic powder in a mixing. Using a hand mixer or mixing spoon, beat until combined.
Cover the tortillas with a towel or place the tortillas on a plate and flip a bowl upside down to cover them, then heat in the microwave for 30 seconds, if they aren’t warm and pliable, heat again at 10 second intervals.
Remove one tortilla at a time and put 2 tablespoons of filling along one edge of the tortilla, then roll the tortilla up tight. Place seam side down in the air fryer basket. Don’t let the taquitos touch, so they will get crispy on all sides. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
Once the air fryer is filled, place the basket in the air fryer and set at 400° for 5 minutes, flip the taquitos and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place back in the air fryer for 2-5 minutes. Check after 2 minutes, and if they aren’t crispy enough, fry a minute or two longer.
Remove and repeat with remaining taquitos.
Serve the taquitos with crema, salsa, and queso.
These are best eaten immediately. They will get soggy after a period of time, but can be placed back in the air fryer to crisp for a minute or two.
You can roll these tight and use a toothpick to keep them closed.
You can spray the taquitos with nonstick cooking spray when you put them in the air fryer and again when you flip them.
Air fryers are all a little different, accordingly, you might need a few minutes longer for your taquitos to get crispy.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Calories are approximate and do not include garnishes
Resources to Make this Easy Air Fryer Chicken Recipe
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
We love taqueria and wanted to try making them from scratch. Using the rotisserie chicken was perfect! I froze a bunch of them for quick meals. Thank you for this recipe. Love my air fryer!!!