Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix is surprisingly easy to make from common spices you may already have in your pantry. This ranch seasoning mix has the great ranch flavor, and you control the salt! Use this ranch dressing mix recipe for pot roast, salad dressing, dip, an in many other tasty recipes!
Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix
Ranch dressing became popular in my world in the early 1980s, though it was created long before that. We couldn't get enough of that creamy, herby, kinda salty dressing!
Back then we really only ate it as a salad dressing and as a dip. I can remember making ranch dip and having it on cheese sandwiches after school!
Then, in about '87, ranch flavored chips and other snack foods started to appear on the scene. Some good. Some not so good!
I think after Robin Chapman created the Mississippi Pot Roast in the early '90s or so, we got more and more creative with that yummy ranch seasoning packet!
I was surprised when I learned what was actually in homemade ranch dressing mix. I had all of the ingredients in my pantry, except for the powdered buttermilk, which is really only necessary for dressing or dip. If you are just after the flavor, then make this a seasoning mix instead of a dressing mix by omitting the powdered buttermilk.
How Much Ranch Seasoning to Make Dressing?
- 3 Tablespoons of the mix equals 1 packet of ranch dressing mix. Use it in lots of yummy recipes, and also make the best ranch salad dressing!
- Just mix 3 Tbsp of the Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix with ⅓ cup milk, and 1 cup Mayo (or Greek style yogurt). This makes almost 1 pint of homemade ranch dressing.
- If you want to make a smaller amount of salad dressing, mix 1 Tbsp of Ranch Dressing Mix with ⅓ cup milk and ⅓ cup of mayo or Greek yogurt. Stir well and let stand/chill for 15 minutes before using.
Store this ranch dressing mix in a sealed jar in the fridge for up to 4 months. What a great pantry staple to have on hand!
Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix is surprisingly easy to make from spices you may already have in your pantry. This ranch seasoning mix has all of the great ranch flavor, and you control the salt!
- ⅓ cup Buttermilk Powder
- ⅓ cup Dried Parsley Flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Chives
- 1 Tablespoon Dill Weed
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt (use more or less to taste)
Mix all of the ingredients together well. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
For a more powdery result, pulse ingredients a few times in a food processor. Not necessary, but makes it a finer powder.
Mix 1 Tbsp of Ranch Dressing Mix with ⅓ cup milk and ⅓ cup of mayo or Greek yogurt. Stir well and let stand/chill for 15 minutes before using.
Mix together 1 Tbsp of Ranch Dressing Mix with 1 cup mayo or sour cream and 1 cup cottage cheese. Let stand/chill for 20 minutes before serving. Taste and add more dressing mix if desired.
*3 Tbsp of the mix is equal to 1 ranch seasoning packet.
Buttermilk Powder is on Amazon (see link below this recipe card)
RESOURCES TO MAKE Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix recipe and more
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.