Oh my goodness! This very creamy Cheesy Baked Chicken Spaghetti recipe is amazing! And, this is made without the canned condensed soup (you can make it with the canned soup if you want, no judging here! 🙂 ). With two kinds of cheese, and a creamy base, your family will love this baked chicken spaghetti recipe!
Cheesy Baked Chicken Spaghetti
Even in the heart of Summer the desire for a creamy, cheesy casserole can strike. It struck me last week and I didn’t get to it because I wanted to convert my favorite chicken enchilada recipe to a Cheesy Baked Chicken Spaghetti recipe. Now I can share it with you.
I use Capellini, or ‘thin spaghetti’. Angel hair pasta is too thin for this recipe, and regular spaghetti, though it works just fine, wasn’t doing it for me. It was partly because I have a very hearty spaghetti that takes forever to cook, and I was trying to make this a little quicker. Thin spaghetti is perfect!
The cream sauce is made like you would make a condensed “cream of” soup. If you opt to use canned cream of chicken soup, that would be a time saving short cut (It will change the flavor, and I haven’t made it that way, but I’m sure it’s fine)!
If you don’t eat meat, or just don’t have any, you can leave it out and make this a vegetarian Baked Chicken Spaghetti recipe. I think it would also be delicious with shrimp.
This casserole is true comfort food, and we always end up eating two helpings each! It’s just so good!
Creamy and cheesy, this is a favorite baked chicken spaghetti recipe in our house!
- 2 cups Chicken Broth, low sodium
- 1 cup Milk
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 8 oz Thin Spaghetti, Cappellini
- 3 cups Diced Cooked Chicken
- 1 14oz can Diced Tomatoes** lightly drained
- 1 7oz can Diced Green Chilis**
- 1 Tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups Cheddar Cheese, shredded, divided
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups of chicken broth to a low boil.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour and milk until smooth.
- Gradually whisk the flour mixture into the broth, whisking until thick.
Reduce heat and add salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder. Stir to combine.
Remove from heat. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta to al dente and drain. Put back in pot.
- Add the chicken, tomatoes, green chilis, taco seasoning, sour cream, and cheeses.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the cream sauce and mix well.
- Pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Cover with foil and bake at 350° for 25 minutes.
Uncover and sprinkle 1/2 cup cheddar cheese on top.
Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, until casserole starts to brown and is hot and bubbly.
*Can substitute 2 cans of condensed cream of chicken soup.
**Can use Salsa or Rotel in place of the tomatoes and green chilis, if desired.
RESOURCES TO MAKE Cheesy Baked Chicken Spaghetti recipe and more
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.