Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore is a simple and flavorful recipe that you can make without pre-cooking any of the ingredients. This is an easy crock pot chicken cacciatore recipe that tastes delicious!
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
Slow cooker chicken recipes are very popular. I’m often asked what my favorites are. Well, this crock pot chicken cacciatore is definitely one of my favorite easy slow cooker recipes. It is delicious!
Cacciatore (catch-ah-tory) means “Hunter” in Italian. In regards to cuisine, “alla cacciatora” means to prepare a meal “hunter-style” which is usually larger pieces of meat, such as a cut up fryer chicken or rabbit.
The meat is usually braised with onions, herbs, often tomatoes, bell peppers, and occasionally red wine. Then served over pasta or other base, such as mashed potatoes.
This crock pot chicken cacciatore recipe is very easy to make as it is a “dump and go” method. Just add the ingredients and start the slow cooker.
A few tips for delicious easy chicken cacciatore
• Use chicken thighs, or a cut up fryer for a true “hunter’s” version, which is more rustic. Cook time could be a little longer.
• You can use boneless/skinless chicken thighs or breasts as well. The cook time may be a bit faster without bones.
• Be sure to dice the onion small so it cooks all the way, leaving no crunchy bits.
• If you use the red wine, use one that you enjoy drinking. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Syrah are my favorites.
Pin This Recipe
If you make this delicious easy crock pot chicken cacciatore recipe, please leave a comment with a star rating below. I’d love to know how you liked it!
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore is a simple and flavorful rustic recipe that you can make without pre-cooking any of the ingredients.
- 1 med Onion, diced
- 2-3 lbs Boneless/Skinless Chicken Thighs (or bone-in, or a cup up fryer)
- 3-4 cloves Garlic, minced (or 2 tsp Garlic Powder)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4-1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 6-8 oz Sliced Mushrooms
- 1 (24 oz) jar Marinara Sauce (3 cups)
- 1/4 cup Red Wine, optional
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 (6 oz) can Tomato Paste
Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray.
Add the diced onion to the slow cooker crock.
To a bowl, add the chicken thighs/parts and the olive oil, and garlic. Coat the thighs with it.
Sprinkle on the Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and red pepper flakes. Stir together to coat the chicken thighs in the spices, then add to the crock.
Add the bell pepper and mushrooms.
Pour the marinara sauce over the chicken, covering it completely.
Mix together the wine, water and tomato paste. Pour over the chicken.
Cook on Low for 5-6 hours, or until the chicken reaches 165° F. Bone-in takes longer than boneless.
Stir before serving, spooned over pasta or cauliflower, potatoes, or other vegetables,
RESOURCES TO MAKE this recipe and more
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.