Instant Pot Sweet Potato Pie is a yummy dessert that you can make for Thanksgiving or any day! This is a traditional Southern recipe. Pressure cooker sweet potato pie is very easy to make and it tastes delicious!
Originally published on 5/12/20
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Pie
If you like sweet potatoes, you will probably really like this sweet potato pie recipe made in the Instant Pot. We sure do!
Sweet Potato Pie is a traditional Southern American dessert. This pie is similar to pumpkin pie, with distinct sweet potato flavor.
This is my granny’s recipe that I have adapted for the Instant Pot. I did have to switch to a graham cracker crust, but otherwise it is her exact recipe!
Is Sweet Potato Pie the Same as Pumpkin Pie?
Close, but the flavor of pumpkin pie is milder, not as earthy and sweet. The recipe for Sweet Potato Pie has fewer spices in it.
Many families like to eat sweet potato pie in place of a pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving. This easy Instant Pot pie recipe is great all year ’round!
What Makes This Recipe Great
• Uses a graham cracker crust (a pastry crust in the IP won’t work).
• The filling is all mixed in one bowl.
• The flavor is delicious and authentically Southern.
• Easy to prepare.
Is Sweet Potato Pie a Side Dish or a Dessert?
Both! Sweet potato pie is a traditional Southern American dessert, which is often also served as side dish.
How Many Servings Does This Recipe Make?
This recipe makes a nice tall pie. You can get about 8 good sized servings.
How to Make Sweet Potato Pie in the Instant Pot
The steps to make this delicious pressure cooker sweet potato pie are easy. Here they are:
• Add 1 1/2 cups of water to the stainless liner of the Instant Pot (not pictured). Line bottom a 7″x3″ cheesecake pan with a parchment round. Spray pan with baking spray.
• Crush graham crackers into crumbs.
• Mix together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter.
• Pour mixture into prepared pan.
• Press crumb mixture into the pan, going about halfway up the side of the pan (I use a small glass). Place pan in the freezer so crust firms up.
• In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs well.
• Add the mashed sweet potatoes and evaporated milk.
• Add white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to the egg mixture.
• Add the salt and vanilla.
• Drizzle in the cooled melted butter, mixing well to incorporate it.
• Take crust from the freezer and pour the batter into it.
• Place a paper towel over the pan (tear off the edges to about 2″ larger than the pan). Then place a piece of foil over the paper towel and crimp it to cover the pan tightly.
• Loosely cover the bottom of the pan with foil. Set on a long-handled trivet and lower into the pot that has the water in it.
• Then pressure cook the pie per recipe card instructions.
• After pressure cooking the sweet potato pie, let the pie rest about 1 hour, then chill for about 3-4 hours to set up. Don’t remove from the pan until fully chilled.
What is a Good Topping for Sweet Potato Pie?
- We all know that marshmallows are great on candied yams, or sweet potatoes. Marshmallows are also delicious on sweet potato pie! You will need to put the marshmallows on top of the pie before taking it out of the metal pan. Then pop it under the broiler until they are lightly toasted. You don’t want the pie in the oven too long or it will warm up too much.
- You can also try marshmallow fluff.
- Of course, whipped cream is dreamy on this Sweet Potato Pie, too, And easier. Much like pumpkin pie. Whipped cream is always a win for me!
- You can also enjoy it as is. There is a sweetness and lots of flavor so this sweet potato pie can stand on its own.
How to Store Sweet Potato Pie
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Instant Pot Pumpkin Cheesecake
Instant Pot Chocolate Orange Cheesecake
Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cake
Instant Pot Chocolate Cheesecake
Did you make this yummy pressure cooker sweet potato pie? Leave a comment with a star rating below. I’d like to know how you liked it!
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Pie is a yummy dessert! This traditional Southern dessert is what many families eat in place of a pumpkin pie. Easy to make and it tastes delicious!
- 1 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- 2 lg Eggs
- 2 cups Mashed Cooked Sweet Potato
- 12 oz Evaporated Milk
- ½ cup Sugar
- ⅓ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
- 4 oz Melted Butter
Line bottom a 7"x3" cheesecake pan with a parchment round. Spray pan with baking spray.
Mix together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter. Press into the pan, going about halfway up the side of the pan. Place pan in the freezer.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs well.
Add all of the other ingredients to the eggs and mix well.
Remove the crust from the freezer and pour the filling into it.
Place a paper towel over the pan (tear off the edges to about 2" larger than the pan). Then place a piece of foil over the paper towel and crimp it to cover the pan tightly.
Wrap some foil around the bottom of the pan so the bottom doesn't get wet. Set the pan on a trivet with long handles.
Pour 1 ½ cups of water into the inner stainless liner of the pressure cooker. Use the rack to carefully lower the pan into the pot.
Close the lid and set the steam release knob to the Sealing position, if not self-sealing.
Press the Pressure Cook/Manual button or dial, then the +/- button or dial to select 45 minutes. High Pressure. The pot will take several minutes to come to pressure.
When the cook cycle has finished, turn off the pot and let it sit undisturbed for 15 minutes (15 minute natural release). Then turn the steam release knob to the Venting position to release any remaining steam/pressure.
You may need to dab off the excess water from the top of the foil using a paper towel. Then use the handles to carefully lift the pie out of the pot.
Carefully remove the foil and paper towel. If there is any water on the pie, lightly blot it with a dry paper towel to soak it up.
Let the pie set for 1 hour, then put in the fridge to chill for 3 hours or more to set up.
Remove from the pan before serving. If using a push-bottom pan, set the pan on a can and firmly and evenly press straight down, holding the edges of the pan. It should slide down, leaving the pie on the bottom disc of the pan.
Serve sliced plain or Top with whipped cream.
If you want to pressure cooker your sweet potatoes in preparation for this recipe, the Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes method is here.
Pin This Recipe
Resources to Make Sweet Potato Pie in the Instant Pot
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe is so good. I hadn’t heard of sweet potato pie on a graham cracker crust before but it was awesome! Thank you for your great IP recipes!
Can 1 can of pumpkin be substituted for the fresh sweet potato?
If a can is 2 cups, then yes!
Where can I find an ‘inner liner’ for the instant pot, pot? I have the smaller instant pot and do not know what size to get. All help welcome, thank you!
I just ordered mine directly from the Instant Pot website. Look for the 3-quart size. The cake pan is from Amazon. There is a link to it at the bottom of this post.
Can I substitute milk for evaporated milk? If so how much. Thank you
Yes, 12 oz, or 1 1/4 cups.
what is the “inner liner” where you say to pour water?… Is that the pot itself, or underneath the pot?
It’s the stainless pot that you can take in and out that is used for all cooking in the pot.