Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili is a delicious chili with white beans, chicken breasts or thighs, and lots of flavor. This crock pot white chicken chili is a family favorite Mexican soup.
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
Chili is one of the best kinds of soups. You can change it up so many ways according to what you like. White Chicken Chili is a completely different kind of chili, using chicken. And it’s so delicious!
Who doesn’t love a “Dump and Go” recipe? I sure do. This crock pot white chicken chili is so easy to make. Just add the ingredients and cook it. Then add a couple more and cook a little longer!
What makes White Chicken Chili Different?
Well, first off you will use chicken instead of beef. You can use skinless/boneless thighs or breasts.
This is a broth based chili versus tomato based. Also, the kinds of beans you use are white beans as opposed to pinto beans.
There is little to no red chili powder used, though I have found green chili powder made from dried Hatch green chilis that is amazing.
You can use a green salsa, green chiles, cilantro, and a little lime juice to really give this white chicken chili great flavor.
This white chicken chili is a pretty quick cooking recipe, in the world of crock pots. The chicken could be done in as little as 2 hours, so it would be good to check on it after the 2 hour mark.
My slow cooker needs 3 hours to make a chicken breast shreddable.
Changing it Up
Some tasty ways to change up this crock pot white chicken chili would be:
- Add some chopped Hatch, Pasilla, or Anaheim chile peppers.
- Pour in a small jar (about 1 cup) of salsa verde (green salsa).
- Use fire roasted green chiles in place of the regular mild ones.
- Add a can of drained diced tomatoes (though it will change the color a little).
- Use Pork instead of chicken.
- Make it creamy by adding cream cheese at the end.
Pin This Recipe
If you make this Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili recipe, please leave me a comment and a star rating below. I’d love to know how you liked it!
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili is a delicious chili with white beans, chicken breasts or thighs, and lots of flavor.
- 3 lg Chicken Breasts skinless/boneless (or 2 lbs thighs)
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 rib Celery, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 (4 oz) oz cans Green Chilis, diced, mild
- 1 1/2 cups Corn, frozen (or 1 can drained)
- 1 Jalapeño Pepper, diced
- 6 cloves Garlic, finely minced (about 1 heaping Tablespoon)
- 2 tsp Cumin, ground
- 1 tsp Green Chili Powder (or regular) or use some green salsa or pasilla peppers
- 1 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt (or 1 tsp table salt)
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 2 tsp Mexican Oregano (or 1 1/2 tsp regular)
- 1 large Bay Leaf
- 3 (15 oz) cans White Beans, drained and rinsed, divided
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Chicken Broth*, low sodium
- 1 sm Lime, juiced
- 3 small Corn Tortillas (optional) cut in strips
- 4 oz Cream Cheese (cut in smallish chunks)
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream or Half and Half
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Jalapeño Slices
Add all ingredients to the slow cooker except for 2 cans of the beans, and the cream cheese and heavy cream (if using), and stir.
Cook on High for 3-4 hours or Low for 7-8 hours. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed.
Remove the chicken and shred it. Then return to the crock and add cream cheese, if using, and the remaining 2 cans of beans (drained and rinsed). Stir well.
Cook an additional 20-30 minutes on High.
Garnish as desired and serve hot.
*This will be a thick chili. If you want it a little soupier, use 2 cans of chicken broth.
Resources to Make This Recipe and More
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.