Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole is a classic Thanksgiving side dish that many of us have enjoyed for years. I'm showing you how to make Green Bean Casserole in the crockpot, and it's so easy (and saves room in your oven). This is the quick traditional version of crockpot Green Bean Casserole, and it's delicious!
I think what I like the most about this Crockpot Green Bean Casserole recipe is the French fried onions. Adding them at the end, after lightly browning them on the stove, prevents them from getting soggy and brings out the flavor.
Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole
Whether you are looking for a delicious and easy side dish recipe for Thanksgiving, or a slow cooker vegetarian recipe, this classic Green Bean Casserole made in the slow cooker is a great option.
This recipe is a more convenient version of the original Green Bean Casserole, mainly because you use canned green beans.
Each bite is creamy and delicious!
Which Green Beans are Best to Use?
You have the option of using the green beans you like.
• Though this recipe uses canned, the original recipe uses fresh green beans (see notes on preparation in recipe card).
• Cut canned green beans are what I use, however many people really like using the canned French style cut green beans.
What If I Don't Like Mushrooms?
I get asked this a lot, I guess there are a lot of folks who don't care for mushrooms. No worries!
• Use cream of chicken soup instead.
• Use cream of celery soup, or one cream of chicken and one celery.
Drain the beans and add them to the crockpot. Add remaining ingredients to a bowl, except for ⅔ of the French fried onions. Mix well.
(If you are using fresh green beans, blanch them for 5 minutes in boiling water and then transfer to ice water. Then drain and add to the crock.)
Pour the soup mixture over the green beans. Mix well to coat all the beans. Cover and cook.
Lightly brown the French fried onions (don't let them get too dark. Transfer to serving dish or leave in crock and spread the onions over the top, and serve hot.
Tasty Add-ins for Green Bean Casserole
Here are some additional ingredients you can add to your Green Bean Casserole. Add any or all of them!
• Mushrooms - Slice and add with the green beans.
• Bacon - Fry up some bacon and add on top with the French fried onions.
• Cheese - Add 1 cup of shredded cheese to the soup mixture and mix in.
• Water Chestnuts - Drain a can and add with the green beans for some crunch.
If you make this delicious Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole recipe, please let me know!
Just leave a comment below with a star rating and tell me what you think. I'd like to know how this recipe worked for you!
Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole is a classic Thanksgiving side dish that many of us have enjoyed for years. I’m showing you how to make Green Bean Casserole in the crockpot step-by-step.
- 4 15-ounce cans Green Beans*, drained (or fresh - see Notes)
- 2 10.5-ounce cans Cream of Mushroom Soup (or cream of chicken)
- 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 6-ounce can Frence Fried Onions, divided
After draining the green beans, add them to the slow cooker.
In a bowl, mix together the soup, soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper. and ⅓ of the french fried onions.
Pour the soup mixture over the green beans and mix to coat the beans.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on Low for 4-5 hours or High for 2-3 hours.
Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add the remaining French fried onions. Lightly brown the onions, but don't let them get too dark.
Add the green beans to a serving dish, or leave in the crock and Spread the onions over the green beans in a layer. Serve hot.
*If using fresh green beans, blanch the beans in boiling water for 5 minutes, then transfer immediately to ice water. Then make recipe as directed.
Recipe can be doubled.