Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup with Sausage is made with vegetables, crushed tomatoes, seasonings, sausage, and kale. A refrigerated tortellini completes the soup. This crock pot tortellini soup has lots of flavor and goes well with some crusty bread.
Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup
Making delicious slow cooker soup recipes is a great use of this amazing kitchen appliance.
Just doing a little prep work and letting the crock pot do the main cooking lets you be free to go about your day and do other things.
Here are the ingredients you will need at a glance. This tortellini soup recipe contains normal ingredients that you can easily find at most grocery stores.
About the Tortellini
The best tortellini to use is the refrigerated kind. Don’t use dried or fresh as one will take too long to cook, and the other will overcook.
I like to use the kind that is filled with cheese, since there is already meat in the soup.
Cook the sausage, then the onion and garlic and add to the crockpot with the veggies.
Add the chopped kale and the tortellini. Then cook a while longer.
Just before serving, add the heavy cream and heat through to make this tortellini soup nice and creamy.
Garnishing the Tortellini Soup
Shaved parmesan cheese is a delicious addition on your bowl of soup. Some other garnishes are:
• Chopped Parsley
• Dried Chili Flakes
• Cracked Black Pepper
• Bacon, cooked and chopped
If you make this cozy crock pot creamy tortellini soup with sausage, please let me know.
Just leave a comment below with a star rating. I’d like to know how you liked it.
- 1 pound Italian Sausage (hot or mild)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 cup Onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 3 large Carrots, sliced thin
- 2 Celery Stalks, sliced thin
- 1 14-ounce can Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 sprig Fresh Thyme, leaves removed and minced finely, or ½ teaspoon dried leaves (not ground)
- ½ teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 10-ounce bag Refrigerated Tortellini (not dried)
- 1 Bunch Kale, stems removed and chopped lightly or ½ bag frozen chopped kale
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- Parmesan Cheese optional (grated or sliced for serving)
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Chili Flakes
In a sauté pan, cook the sausage till it is no longer pink, then place in the crock pot. Add the olive oil to the pan and cook the onions for 4 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add the onions to the crockpot.
Next, add the carrots, celery, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme, oregano and chicken broth to the crockpot.
Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
Remove the lid and add the tortellini and kale to the crockpot. Place the lid back on and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
Add heavy cream and cook for another 10 minutes.
Serve each bowl of soup with a few thin slices of parmesan and a sprinkle of chili flakes.
- Using fresh kale is best for this soup, but if you have trouble finding some, you can use baby spinach instead.
- Serve this with a rustic loaf of Italian bread. Tear it into pieces and use it to dip into the broth.
Resources to Make this Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup Recipe and More
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.