Instant Pot Taco Pie is a tasty and fun recipe to make in your electric pressure cooker. The layers of tortillas and taco meat filling are so easy to put together. This pressure cooker Taco Pie recipe is delicious!
Instant Pot Taco Pie
Instant Pot Taco pie recipe is four layers of yum! You can adjust it to be spicier, cheesier, and even saucier, if you use the optional enchilada sauce (not used in the pictured dish).
The PIP (Pan-in-Pot) Method
- This pressure cooker Taco Pie recipe uses the PIP (Pan-in-Pot or Pot-in-Pot) method.
- This means you will assemble the Taco Pie in a pan much like a cake pan, then cover it and place that pan into the pressure cooker's stainless pot (with water underneath) to cook.
- Be sure that the stainless pot that came with your pressure cooker has 1 ½ cups of water in it, and that you set the pan on a trivet/rack in the pot. You don't ever want a PIP pan directly touching the bottom of the stainless pot.
For this Taco Pie recipe you can use any size of pressure cooker. The size of the pan that the Taco Pie cooks in should be as close to the size of the tortillas as you can find.
Try Making Homemade Taco Seasoning
I make my own Easy Taco Seasoning, and use it for any recipe that calls for one of those taco seasoning packets. I make a double batch at a time, and love having the ability to control the salt and the heat. Try it, it's fun to make your own!
Easy Steps to Make Pressure Cooker Taco Pie
Assemble all of the ingredients, cook the meat, and start layering. It's fun. Even the kids can help with this part.
• Place a tortilla in a sprayed 7"x3" pan (springform or push pan). Then spread some refried beans onto it.
• Add some cooked taco meat.
• Add some shredded cheese. Then add another tortilla, and repeat.
• Top with a final, fourth tortilla.
• Place some foil on the pan to keep the water out.
Set the pan on the trivet with handles and set them into the pot that has 1 ½ cups of water in it.
• Pressure cook. When done, add cheese on top and broil or air fry.
• Let sit for a few minutes to set up, then serve your delicious Instant Pot Taco Pie!
How To Get the Taco Pie Out of Push Pan
Here is an example of using a can to set the push pan on to get the Taco Pie out (using my delicious Instant Pot Veggie Tortilla Pie).
You will set the pan on a large can and gently, but firmly, push straight down. It's hot, so use caution!
It's really great how easy this InstaPot Taco Pie recipe comes together, and with such delicious results! YUM! I hope you make and enjoy this recipe!
Pin This Recipe
Instant Pot Taco Pie is a fun and tasty recipe to make in your pressure cooker. Tortillas, refried beans, salsa, meat, and cheese come together to create a layered Mexican Pie! Delicioso!
- 1 lb Lean Ground Beef or Turkey (93% lean is ideal)
- 1 1 oz Taco Seasoning Packet (or 2 Tablespoons of my Homemade Taco Seasoning)
- 1 ½ cups Refried Beans
- ⅓ cup Salsa
- (4) 8-inch Flour Tortillas (can use corn, but they are more fragile)
- ¼ cup Enchilada Sauce (optional)
- 2 ½ cups Shredded Cheese or more if desired. (I use sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack).
- Sour Cream
- Extra Salsa
- Hot Sauce
Use the Sauté setting on your pressure cooker (or use a frying pan) to brown the meat, stirring in the taco seasoning in about halfway through. Cook meat until done. Set aside. Cancel the sauté setting.
Wash/Rinse out the pot and put 1 ½ cups of water in it.
Mix the refried beans with the salsa.
Spray a 7"x3" springform or push pan with cooking spray. Place 1 of the tortillas in the bottom of the pan and spread ½ cup of the refried bean mixture over it.
Sprinkle on 1 cup of the meat evenly, (then ¼ cup enchilada sauce, if using) then 1 cup of the cheese.
Place a second tortilla in the pan, then ½ cup of the refried bean mixture, 1 cup of the meat, and then ½ cup of the cheese (the first layer has 1 cup of cheese, that is correct).
Place a third tortilla in, then ½ cup refried bean mixture, 1 cup of the meat, and ½ cup of cheese.
Place the final tortilla on and gently press in place.
Cover the pan with foil and place on the trivet/rack, and use the handles to place them in the pot. You can also use a sling, and set the pan on the trivet that you will put in the pot first.
Place the lid on the pot and lock in place. Turn the steam release knob to the Sealing position.
Press the Pressure Cook/Manual button (or dial) and use the +/- button (or dial) to choose 17 minutes, and High pressure.
When the cooking cycle has ended, let the pot sit undisturbed for 10 minutes (10 minute Natural Release). Then turn the steam release knob to the Venting position to release the remainder of the steam/pressure.
After the pin in the lid drops, open the lid. Use silicone mitts, or oven mitts to carefully remove the pan and trivet. If you used a sling, gather up the two ends of the sling and carefully lift out the pan to a cooling rack. Be very careful as the pan and the water is hot.
Turn on your broiler to 425° F. Remove the foil from the pan and sprinkle on the remaining ½ cup of cheese (or more, up to 1 cup).
Place the pan on the middle oven rack and let the cheese brown to your desired amount. Don't leave it unattended as it could get too brown if you don't watch it!
Remove from oven to a plate and let it sit for a few minutes to set up and cool a bit.
Run a butter knife around the edge to loosen it. Carefully unlock the springform pan and lift the ring off. Use a spatula to slide pie off of the pan bottom, or just leave it and serve from it.
If you used a push pan, loosen the edge with a knife, and set a large can on a plate and set the pan on top of the can and gently push downward. The pie will be sitting on the pan bottom. Very carefully slide the pie onto another plate and serve from there. Use caution as it will be hot.
Cut pie into desired serving sizes and garnish with your choice of sour cream, salsa, lime wedges, chopped cilantro, etc.
Resources to Make Instant Pot Taco Pie recipe
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.