Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is a delicious, flavorful Mexican soup. If you haven’t had a tortilla soup before, the spices, herbs, and corn tortillas give this Pressure Cooker Chicken Tortilla soup a wonderful fiesta of flavor and texture!
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
If you enjoy flavorful Mexican food like tacos, carnitas, and such, you will like this yummy pressure cooker chicken tortilla soup! There is a lot of flavor packed into this soup.
This is a very easy soup to make in your electric pressure cooker. Using the sauté function is one of my favorite things about the Instant Pot.
You will just sauté the veggies in the pot, then add all of the other ingredients except for the corn and the tortillas. Then pressure cook it and finish it up.
Soups are my favorite meal to make in the Instant Pot pressure cooker. I have over 50 soups on this website! Just do a search and you will find some of the most delicious Instant Pot Soup recipes out there!
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is a very flavorful Mexican soup. If you haven't had a tortilla soup before, the spices, herbs, and corn tortillas give this Pressure Cooker Chicken Tortilla soup a wonderful fiesta of flavor!
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 1 cup Celery, diced (about 2 stalks)
- 1 cup Carrots, diced (about 2 carrots)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 5 cloves Garlic, finely minced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Mexican Oregano, or regular
- 1 (15 oz) can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 cups Chicken Broth (use 6 for a soupier consistency)
- 3 Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 1/2 cups Frozen Corn
- 5 6" Corn Tortillas, cut into 2” pieces, divided
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla Chips
- Corn Tortilla
- Shredded Cheese
- Turn on the Sauté function. When display reads “Hot” add the oil.
- Add onions, celery, carrots, and bay leaf. Cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
Add the jalapeño, and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
Add the tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, coriander powder, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, and oregano. Stir.
- Add the black beans, broth, and the chicken. Stir.
Add the tomato paste but do not stir.
Place the lid on the pot and set the Steam Release Knob to Sealing position.
- Cancel the Sauté function.
Press the Pressure Cook (or Manual) button, or dial on Ultra. Set time to 10 minutes using the + or - button, or dial.
- When cook cycle ends, let pot naturally release pressure for 10 minutes. Then manually release the remaining pressure by turning the knob to Venting (or push the button on the Ultra).
When the pin in the lid drops. Give the pot a gentle shake to remove steam pockets. Open and stir the soup. Taste and adjust salt, if needed.
Remove chicken with tongs and place in a bowl.
- Stir the corn and tortillas into the soup.
Shred the chicken using two forks. Then add back into the soup.
- Put the lid back on (leave vent open) and let it sit while you get everything else ready. This gives the tortillas a few more minutes to dissolve a little.
- Garnish as desired and serve.
RESOURCES TO MAKE Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe and more
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.