Creamy Cauliflower Soup is a delicious soup recipe. This soup is an easy recipe that only takes 30 minutes to make. Loaded with rich, cheesy cauliflower flavor, it is a wonderful soup for a quick weeknight dinner. A 30 minute meal!
Originally Published 9/27/2017
Cheesy Creamy Cauliflower Soup
This soup is a great way to enjoy Cauliflower. Cauliflower soup has a nice, creamy texture and nice flavor.
You can customize it to make it your own. If you don't want to add cheese, it will still be great, just add more broth.
Cheesy Creamy Cauliflower Soup cooks quickly, a 30 minute recipe, and is perfect for a busy weeknight meal. Just pair it with some crusty bread and maybe a side salad, and you are all set.
Can I Use Frozen Cauliflower?
Yes you can. Ideally, let the frozen cauliflower florets thaw out a bit before adding them, or run them under warm water.
Which Milk Works Best in Creamy Cauliflower Soup?
- This recipe calls for half and half, but there are other options:
- Whole Milk – If you want to reduce the amount of fat and calories, this is a good option.
- Heavy Cream – For when you are feeling indulgent. It will make the soup a little thicker as well.
- Non Dairy – Unsweetened Almond Milk is a nice alternative milk.
Which Cheeses Are Good in Cauliflower Soup?
- You can use almost any cheese that melts well and has good flavor.
- Gouda – One of the best cheeses with a rich flavor, and it melts very nicely.
- Smoked Cheese – I like to use smoked Gouda cheese or smoked cheddar cheese. They are very creamy, and add the perfect amount of smoky flavor to compliment the cauliflower.
- Other Cheeses – You can also try Swiss, Gruyère, Fontina, or a combination of any of these. Experiment as you like.
With the availability of fresh and frozen cauliflower in most grocery stores these days, you can enjoy this soup all year round.
What Can I Serve with Cauliflower Soup?
• Cauliflower soup pairs well with crusty bread, a side salad, or a protein such as a Perfectly Baked Chicken Breast.
• Sandwiches, such as Grilled cheese or BLT sandwiches are nice with this soup.
• A simple green salad is a perfect side dish to Cauliflower Soup.
Leftover Soup Storage
To store leftover cauliflower soup:
Refrigeration: Cool soup to room temperature. Store in airtight containers. Refrigerate up to 3-4 days.
You Might Also Like
If you make this delicious cauliflower soup recipe, please leave a comment and a star rating below!
This Creamy Cauliflower Soup is so rich and delicious! The fresh cauliflower flavor shines through. This soup is true comfort food!
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1 cup Celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ⅛ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 5 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1 2-pound Head of Cauliflower (about 4 cups) fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup All Purpose Flour
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth or chicken broth
- ¾ cup Half and Half,
- 5 oz Gouda Cheese, shredded ( 1 ¼ cups shredded)
Heat a 5-quart pot and add the olive oil and butter.
Add the onion and celery and sauté until almost translucent, stirring occasionally.
Add salt, pepper, nutmeg, garlic, and the cauliflower florets. Sauté for a minute.
Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir. The mixture will thicken and become paste-like. Just cook this a minute, stirring, to cook the raw taste out of the flour.
Stir in the broth very well and bring to a low simmer. Partially cover the pot and cook at a low simmer for about 15 minutes, until the cauliflower breaks apart easily with the spoon.
Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to puree the soup. If you don't have an immersion blender, transfer in batches to a blender or food processor to puree. Be careful of the hot contents! Then transfer pureed soup back to the pot.
Stir in the half and half and warm the soup back up.
Add the cheese and stir until melted. Take off of heat and serve immediately with some crusty bread.
Use any good melting cheese you like. We enjoy using smoked gouda.
You can also use Heavy Cream, Whole Milk, or Unsweetened Almond Milk.