Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup has a creamy texture and rich flavor! Definitely a favorite Fall soup in our house. This pressure cooker Butternut Squash Soup recipe is healthy and very delicious!
Originally published 9/26/2017
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup is a flavorful and healthy Fall soup. We especially love this pressure cooker butternut squash soup with a thick slice of warm bread!
When fall and winter come around, I find I’m using the Instant Pot more and more. Especially for soups! There are so many soups to make and the Instant Pot does a fantastic job of cooking them.
Butternut Squash Soup Tips
- When making Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup try to have everything chopped, measured and set near your pot and ready to go. This makes the process easier. Who wants to run after ingredients while the onions are sautéing?
- Roast the veggies: You can make roasted butternut squash soup by roasting the butternut squash, carrots and onions before adding them to the soup. Set oven to 400°F, toss the veggies in oil, and cook about 20 minutes. The roasted veggies add a nice depth of flavor.
- You can use Frozen Butternut Squash in place of fresh.
A Fun and Tasty Add-In
Add Pumpkin Puree! I like to add a little at the end to give the soup a little more sweetness, and it helps it thicken just a bit. I make Homemade Pumpkin Puree in my Instant Pot! You won’t believe how easy it is! The stuff in the can can’t compare.
Enjoy the lovely Fall season, snuggle up with your loved ones and enjoy a bowl of this soup!
This Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup is wonderful, but so is my Instant Pot Ham Hock and Bean Soup. It reminds me of growing up.
Every time I think I’ve found a favorite, another soup edges that one out for the top spot!
Paul’s favorite is my Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana, a wonderful sausage, potato, and kale soup.
Bryen’s favorite is my Instant Pot White Chicken Chili, a very flavorful white bean chili that Bryen insists is served with big chunks of avocado. That kid knows how to garnish!
If you make this delicious pressure cooker butternut squash soup, please leave a comment and a star rating below. I’d love to know how you liked it!
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup is rich and flavorful. Pressure cooker Butternut Squash Soup is a perfect Fall soup!
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, chopped
- 5 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1 ½ inch Piece of Fresh Ginger, peeled and diced
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 1 Apple, peeled, cored chopped
- 3 lbs Butternut Squash, peeled, seeded, chopped in 2"-3" chunks
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Sprig of Fresh Rosemary
- 2 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 tsp Orange Zest (cook with soup. Adds a bright note and sweetness)
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ½ cup Pumpkin Puree (optional, or extra butternut squash
- ½ (13.5 oz) can Coconut Milk (or 1/2 cup of Heavy Cream)
- Pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Coconut Milk Drizzle (or Heavy Cream Drizzle)
- Fresh Herbs of your choice
Turn the Instant Pot to Sauté. When the display reads HOT, add the olive oil.
Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes or until they turn slightly translucent.
Add garlic, and ginger. Let cook for a minute, stirring constantly.
Add carrots, apple, squash, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, and nutmeg. Stir well.
Add broth and optional orange zest and/or cayenne powder, if using, and stir.
Put the lid on the pot and set the steam release knob to the Sealing position.
Cancel the Sauté mode. Press the Manual (or Pressure Cook) button and then the + or - button to select 10 minutes.
When the cooking cycle ends, let the pot naturally release pressure (just let it sit) for 15 minutes. Then manually release the remaining pressure. Open the lid after the pin in the lid drops. Carefully!
Stir the soup and then use an immersion blender to puree to a creamy consistency (If you don't have an immersion blender you can transfer contents to a food processor or a blender. You will have to puree the soup in batches as you can't put as much hot food in either of those appliances. Be very careful, and if not sure, refer to the manufacture's instructions on pureeing hot food).
Transfer the pureed soup back to the pot if you didn't use an immersion blender.
Finish the soup by stirring in the pumpkin puree and the coconut milk, or cream.
Taste and adjust salt as desired.
Garnish as desired and serve.
Resources to make Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Pin This Recipe