Slow Cooker Corn Chowder is a delicious comfort food soup (with bacon or without)! You can use fresh or frozen corn to make this yummy crock pot corn chowder recipe. This awesome corn chowder is full of flavor and is nice and thick!
Slow Cooker Corn Chowder
You don’t have to wait for late summer corn to make a great corn chowder. Though fresh tastes great, you can make this soup any time using frozen corn kernels.
Chowders are wonderful soups. My favorites are Salmon Chowder, Clam Chowder, and Corn Chowder. The potatoes give the soup a hearty, rustic quality that turns ordinary soup into comfort food!
A super Meal Prep recipe
Slow Cooker Corn Chowder is a great meal prep recipe. I make this and my hubby and I can have work lunches for about 3 days. If only one person is having it, it will last all week.
Does corn chowder freeze well?
Well, potatoes in soups have never been my favorite to freeze. If you do, be sure to thaw it before reheating, and heat it up slowly.
It is also best to leave out the dairy when freezing this chowder, and add it after reheating.
What can I use in place of the half and half?
Lots of people don’t do dairy, or want to lighten up their chowder. You can use unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk for a great non-dairy option.
You can replace the butter with vegan butter, or just omit it.
For a lighter version, use regular milk, or a lower percentage fat milk.
I would like to make a lighter version of this corn chowder
- Lightening up this slow cooker corn chowder recipe is no problem.
- Use a lower fat milk or a milk substitute.
- You will want to omit the butter or use a light butter substitute.
- You can use turkey bacon in place of the regular kind. Or just omit the meat all together.
- Also, use more potatoes and cut down on the flour. You can mash some of the potatoes to thicken the chowder, or even use dried potato flakes.
Pin This Slow Cooker Corn Chowder Recipe
If you make this crock pot corn chowder recipe, please leave me a comment below. I’d like to know how you liked it!
Slow Cooker Corn Chowder with Bacon (or without) is a delicious comfort food soup! Use fresh or frozen corn to make this yummy crock pot corn chowder recipe.
- 1 (32 oz) pkg Frozen Corn Kernels (or 5 cups fresh)
- 1 sm Onion, diced
- 4 Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 med Carrots, diced
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced (or 2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme Leaves (or 2 sprigs fresh)
- 1 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt (or 1 tsp table salt)
- 3/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 (15 oz) can Creamed Corn
- 4 cups Chicken Stock, low sodium
- 5 Tbsp Flour
- 1 cup Half and Half
- 1 lb Bacon, cooked and chopped (optional)
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Parsley, fresh, chopped (or dried)
Add the corn, onion, potatoes, carrots, butter, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, creamed corn, and chicken stock to a 6 qt slow cooker. Stir well. Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, or until vegetables are tender.
30 minutes before serving, whisk together the flour and half and half until flour is dissolved. Add this slurry to the soup and stir.
Also stir in the bacon (if using), and bell pepper. Cover and cook 30 minutes.
Just before serving, remove and discard the bay leaf, and stir in the parsley.
RESOURCES TO MAKE this recipe and more
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.