Slow Cooker Creamy Sweet Potatoes Casserole is a delicious Holiday side dish. Using canned yams - sweet potatoes, this yummy Thanksgiving side dish will come together quickly. A favorite crock pot candied yams recipe with a buttery brown sugar-pecan topping. Crockpot sweet potato casserole is a classic Holiday side dish.
Originally published on 8/14/2019
Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes
It's not Thanksgiving at our house without a sweet potato casserole - or yams (or whatever you want to call them)!
We like Sweet Potatoes prepared in all kinds of ways. This creamy casserole version features a buttery brown sugar pecan topping.
I like to use my slow cooker when I'm making out Thanksgiving dinner. I only have one oven, and cooking the side dishes in the slow cooker frees up the oven and the meal gets done sooner.
Sweet Potatoes or Yams?
Sweet Potatoes. In America we use those names interchangeably. True yams are not widely available here, and the canned yams are actually sweet potatoes. An actual yam is starchy and dry. Not so good!
Can I Use Fresh Sweet Potatoes Instead of Canned?
- Slow Cooker Creamy Sweet Potatoes is made with canned sweet potatoes. This is not just for convenience, but because they are soft.
- It's easier to mash the sweet potatoes from the beginning and add the other ingredients that make this the creamy consistency that it needs.
- If you only have or want to use fresh yams/sweet potatoes, you will need to cook them first and mash them. Then cool them and proceed with the recipe (see recipe card).
The buttery brown sugar pecan topping is a sweet, crunchy finish to each yummy, creamy bite that is my favorite part!
If you don't want to use nuts, you can substitute with quick oats, or just use marshmallows.
If you make this easy and delicious crock pot sweet potatoes recipe, please leave a comment below with a star rating. I would love to know how you liked it!
Slow Cooker Creamy Sweet Potatoes are a delicious Holiday side dish. Use canned yams or sweet potatoes and this yummy Thanksgiving side dish will come together quickly.
- 3 (29 oz) cans Sweet Potatoes, drained (Yams)
- ¾ cup Butter, melted and divided
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar, packed, divided
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Orange Juice
- ¾ teaspoon Orange Zest (optional)
- 3 lg Eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup Half and Half (or Milk)
- ¾ cup Chopped Pecans
- 2 ½ Tablespoons Flour
In a medium size mixing bowl, mash the drained sweet potatoes.
Mix in ½ cup of the melted butter.
Add the sugar, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, orange juice, and orange zest. Mix well to combine.
Mix in the beaten eggs and the half and half.
Spray a small 4-quart to 5-quart slow cooker and add the sweet potatoes. Set aside.
In a small bowl mix together the pecans, flour, remaining butter, and remaining brown sugar. Spread the mixture evenly over the sweet potatoes.
Cover and cook on Low 4 to 5 hours or High for 2 to 3 hours.
Fresh Sweet Potatoes
- If you are using fresh sweet potatoes you will need about 9.
- Bake them in the oven at 325°F until very soft about 1 - 1 ½ hours.
- Or you can boil them (with skins on) about 20-30 minutes. Then remove the skins and continue with recipe.