Instant Pot Brown Rice is fluffy and perfectly done. Brown rice has a nutty flavor and a slightly chewy texture. Pressure cooker brown rice is easy to make and is faster than making it on the stove top.
If you want to learn how to cook brown rice in the Instant Pot, you have come to the right place!
Instant Pot Brown Rice
Brown rice is a great option to white rice. It is heartier, and has more protein and fiber that white rice. The nutty flavor of brown rice is subtle and pleasant.
Why Cook Brown Rice In the Instant Pot?
Because it is so easy! This is a 'dump and start' recipe. You can set it and forget it until it is done. The results are predictable and perfectly delicious.
Rice is one of the simplest foods to cook in the Instant Pot. You can make a small or a large batch. You can even add seasonings and other ingredients if you want to make a tasty side dish or an entree.
My favorite pressure cooker brown rice recipe is Instant Pot Brown Rice Pilaf. It is really flavorful and makes a great side dish.
Do I Need to Add Oil & Salt Before Cooking Brown Rice in the Instant Pot?
- You don't have to, but I recommend some oil, butter, or ghee as this helps cut down on the foam that is created inside the pressure cooker when cooking starchy foods.
- Olive oil is nice as it adds a bit of richness without making the rice greasy.
- The salt does add some seasoning so the brown rice isn't too bland.
- If you are having a sauce or something like that over the rice, then I would probably leave out the salt.
Can I Use the Rice Button For Brown Rice?
Not for brown rice, as it is one of the longer cooking rices. Just use the Pressure Cook or Manual button and High Pressure (see recipe card below).
Pressure Cooker Brown Rice for Meal Prep
- Make a batch of pressure cooker brown rice to use for your meal prep. There are many foods you can pair brown rice with.
- Brown rice salads are great meal prep recipes. Also, you can pair it with meat and vegetables.
- The rice will easily keep in the fridge for several days.
If you make brown rice in the Instant Pot, please leave me a comment below with a star rating and let me know how you liked it!
Instant Pot Brown Rice comes out perfectly cooked and fluffy! If you love brown rice, this is a great way to cook it faster than on the stove, and easier!
- 2 cups Brown Rice, rinsed well
- 2½ cups Water (or use veggie broth, chicken broth, etc.)
- 1½ tsp Olive Oil (optional)
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt (optional)
Rinse the rice well and drain it.
Add rice to the inner stainless liner of the pressure cooker.
Add the water, oil, and salt.
Stir and level out the rice so it is all submerged.
Close the lid and set the steam release knob to the Sealing position.
Press the Pressure Cook/Manual button or dial, then the +/- button or dial to select 23 minutes. High Pressure. The pot will take several minutes to come to pressure.
When the cook cycle has finished, turn off the pot and let it sit undisturbed until the pin in the lid drops down.
When the pin in the lid drops down, open the lid.
Fluff the rice with a fork.
Serve immediately, or use for meal prep.
Let the rice cool completely before refrigerating. Will keep in an airtight container up to 5 days.
3-Quart Instant Pots:
You can make this full recipe or halve it, keeping cook time the same.
RESOURCES TO MAKE instapot brown rice recipe and more
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.