Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli is a one-pot Chinese takeout style meal that is just as good made at home! This pressure cooker beef and broccoli recipe has amazing flavor, with tender strips of beef, rice, and broccoli. All made in your pressure cooker!
Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
We love Chinese takeout food. Around here we are lucky enough to have a lot of wonderful Asian restaurants. But for all that, it’s hard to find a good Chinese restaurant close by. The one we love is about a 20 minute drive away.
I don’t make a lot of Asian food at home. Sometimes I am lazy and don’t want to deal with so many ingredients and all of the chopping! So finding simpler recipes that I will make at home, and that taste good, is something I look out for.
Though there are a couple of steps to this recipe, Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli is pretty simple to make, and the end result is so good! Let me tell you about this tasty recipe.
What I like about Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
• The biggest thing is that I make it all in one pot. The beef, broccoli, sauce, and even the rice.
• There is minimal chopping. The beef, onion, broccoli, and garlic. Not too bad!
• Flavorful sauce with pretty common ingredients such as soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, beef broth, and brown sugar (plus a few others).
• I use chuck roast as it has great flavor, and cooks up super tender.
• It doesn’t take that long. You can have this meal on the table in about an hour.
• The flavor! The tender beef! Broccoli cooked perfectly! And rice!
You don’t have to cook the rice with the meat. You can use any method you prefer. Just try to time it to be done within a few minutes of the meat.
Likewise, if you prefer to steam your broccoli separately, you can do that. Some folks steam it in the microwave!
After you remove the rice and trivet from the pot, add the broccoli, pour in the cornstarch slurry, and pressure cook again, for 0 minutes. Then Quick Release. Fluff the rice with a fork so it keeps its texture.
This delicious pressure cooker beef and broccoli is a wonderful way to get Chinese takeout in your own home!
Pin This Recipe
Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli is a one-pot Chinese style meal that is as good as take out! This pressure cooker beef and broccoli recipe has lots of flavor, with tender strips of beef, rice, and broccoli.
- 1/2 cup Soy Sauce, low sodium
- 1 cup Beef Broth, low sodium
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Ginger Powder (or 1 Tbsp fresh grated)
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Tbsp Peanut or Canola Oil
- 2 lbs Chuck Roast or Flank Steak, sliced thinly against the grain
- 1 medium Onion, sliced into half moon shapes
- 5 cloves Garlic, pressed or finely minced (2 Tbsp)
- 1 1/2 lbs Broccoli Florets, fresh or frozen
- 3 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 1/4 cup Cold Water
- 2 cups Long Grain White Rice, well rinsed
- 2 cups Water
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 2 Green Onions, sliced
Gather all of your ingredients together and have everything chopped and ready to go, and the sauce made before you start.
Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a large measuring cup or a medium size bowl. Whisk it well. Set aside.
Turn on the Sauté setting, and when hot, add the oil. Add half of the beef strips and brown them a couple minutes on both sides (don't cook fully). Remove them to a plate and repeat with the second half.
After the second batch has browned, add the first batch back into the pot and add the onion and garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring frequently.
Pour in the sauce and stir.
Turn off the Sauté setting. If you are making rice, set the tall trivet into the pot and set the pan of rice/water on the trivet. Then close the lid and set the steam release knob to the Sealing position.
Press the Pressure Cook/Manual button or dial, then the +/- button or dial to select 10 minutes.
After cooking cycle has ended, let the pot sit undisturbed for 5 minutes. Then do a Quick Release of the remaining pressure/steam. When the pin in the lid drops down, you can open the lid.
Then carefully remove the pan of rice and the trivet and set aside. Add the broccoli to the pot, pour in the cornstarch slurry, and pressure cook again, for 0 minutes. Then Quick Release as soon as the cooking cycle has finished.
Meanwhile, fluff the rice with a fork and transfer to a serving bowl.
After you open the pot again, stir well. Serve over hot rice. Garnish as desired.
RESOURCES TO MAKE Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli recipe and more
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.