Crock Pot Mexican Corn Chicken Soup is rich and comforting, with a little kick of spice. A creamy slow cooker Mexican corn chowder made with chicken thighs and plenty of corn. Perfect for a chilly Fall day!
Not only is this soup delicious, it is pretty. A bit of garnish makes a nice presentation.
Originally published on Sep 17, 2017
Crock Pot Mexican Corn Chicken Soup
There is nothing like a warm, comforting bowl of corn chowder to chase away the chill. It’s even better when it is a little spicy!
If you are looking for a creamy, filling, and flavorful soup to make in your slow cooker, this is a great choice!
This slow cooker Mexican Corn Chicken Soup is a dump and go recipe. It will be cooking away as you get other things done.
How Spicy is This Soup?
Just a bit. You can control how spicy it is by how much chipotle in adobo you use. Add more for spicy, as-is is mildly spicy.
Make it Vegetarian
You can make this Mexican corn chowder into a delicious vegetarian meal by simply omitting the chicken, and using water or veggie broth in place of the chicken broth.
This slow cooker Mexican corn chowder is perfect for Game Day, and goes very well with soft, crumbly corn bread, buttered corn tortillas, or biscuits.
Can I use Chicken Breasts?
• Yes you can, however you will want to reduce the cook time so they don’t over cook.
• Also, leave the chicken breasts whole so the meat doesn’t dry out. You can shred them after cooking.
I hope you dust off your crock pot and try this easy, and oh-so-delicious slow cooker Mexican Corn Chicken Soup!
If you make this delicious slow cooker Mexican Corn soup, please leave a comment below with a star rating. I’d love to know how you liked this recipe!
Crock Pot Mexican Corn Chicken Soup is a hearty soup full of Southwest flavor. Perfect for a chilly Fall day!
- 5 Chicken Thighs, boneless, skinless
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 5 Garlic Cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 4-ounce can Fire Roasted Green Chilis
- 3 15-ounce cans Corn (I use the Southwestern variety with peppers in it)
- 1 15-ounce can Black Beans, rinsed & drained
- 4 cups Chicken Broth, low sodium
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Mexican Oregano (or regular is fine)
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 Chipotle in Adobo Sauce (Chopped. Also use 1 tsp of the sauce)
- 2 cups Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded (use fresh)
- 1 cup Heavy Cream (or half and half)
Add all ingredients to the crock pot except the cheese and heavy cream. Stir.
Cook on High for 3-4 hours or Low for 7-8 hours.
Press a spoon into the chicken thighs to easily shred them right in the crock pot.
Stir in Cheese and let melt.
Add heavy cream.
Put lid back on and heat on High for another 15-30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and cream is heated through.
Garnish with cilantro, avocado, onion, red bell pepper, hot sauce, etc.
Resources to make this Slow Cooker Mexican Corn Chicken Soup recipe and more
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.