Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken is a sweet and savory Asian inspired chicken recipe. This delicious slow cooker chicken recipe has lots of honey and garlic, as well as other yummy ingredients. This crock pot honey garlic chicken recipe is done in just a few hours!
Originally published on 4/23/2019
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
Sometimes I want a slow cooker recipe that will cook all day, but chicken will be too dry if it cooks that long. That's why this slow cooker chicken recipe is great for a weeknight. It cooks in about 3 hours!
You will have time to mix this up and get it cooking while you do your afternoon running around, being a soccer/dance/sports parent, dealing with homework/pets/catching up, or whatever else needs your attention.
Which Cuts of Chicken Work Best in This Recipe?
- Bone-in chicken legs and bone-in chicken thighs are the best for this recipe as written. I like dark meat as it stays very juicy and tender.
- Chicken breasts will do well if you keep a close eye on the cook time (they may need less time, depending on their size).
- If you are using skinless boneless chicken thighs, they will need less time as well, due to being smaller and not having the bone or skin.
You can also mix up the cuts of meat and use a whole cut up chicken, or a mix of legs and thighs. Legs may cook a little quicker, so pair them with smaller thighs if you can.
Just try and have the legs and thighs similar in size and thickness. You could take out the legs if they are done first, and cover them. Then add them back in after the thighs are done and you add the corn starch slurry.
Why Put Water in the Crock First?
Since the sauce is thick, and could burn, adding just a small amount of water (after spraying with nonstick spray) helps it not scorch, and adds a little steam to the crock, which keeps the chicken moist.
What Goes With Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken?
• You can serve Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken over rice, cauliflower rice, noodles, quinoa, or mashed potatoes.
• Some ideas for side dishes that go well are: Asian Coleslaw, Instant Pot Cabbage Side Dish, steamed or sautéd vegetables, and so on.
If you make this crock pot honey garlic chicken recipe, please let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and star rating below! Share on your social media! Thank you!
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken is a sweet and savory Asian inspired chicken recipe. This delicious chicken recipe has lots of honey and garlic, and other yummy ingredients. Done in just a few hours!
- 3 lbs Chicken Legs or Thighs
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- ¼ cup Water
- ½ cup Honey
- ⅓ cup Soy Sauce, low sodium
- 2 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Ginger, grated
- 4 - 5 lg Garlic Cloves, pressed or finely minced
- 2 Tablespoons Onion, finely minced
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Tablespoons Corn Starch
- 3 Tablespoons Cold Water
- 4 cups Cooked Rice
- Sesame Seeds for Garnish
- Chopped Scallions for Garnish
Spray the inside of the crock. Turn on to Low setting.
Salt and pepper all sides of the chicken.
Add the water to the crock, then place the chicken in there as well. Place the lid on so it starts warming up.
In a 2 cup measuring cup, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, ketchup, ginger, garlic, onion, and red pepper flakes. Pour over the chicken.
Cook on Low for 2-4 hours (check after 2 hours). Cook time may vary, due to size of chicken, and/or your brand of slow cooker.
Remove chicken to a plate and lightly cover. Turn the slow cooker to High setting.
Whisk together the corn starch and cold water. Add to the liquid in the crock and stir.
Add the chicken back into the crock and cook on High until thickened (usually 10 to 15 minutes) and chicken has an internal temperature of 165° F.
Serve over cooked rice, garnished with sesame seeds, scallions, and/or cilantro.
Resources to Make Crockpot Honey Garlic Chicken Recipe
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.