Slow Cooker Cheesy Grits are creamy and cheesy, and make a delicious side dish or main. These crock pot cheesy grits are so easy to make, and the results are a comforting bowl of grits, Southern style!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Grits are awesome! Creamy and cheesy comfort food.
Slow Cooker Cheesy Grits
I love a good bowl of grits! There are so many tasty ways to make them. This recipe is a a dump recipe, as I like to call them. Very simple and delicious. Those always seem to be the best ones!
If you count the salt, this recipe only has 6 ingredients. There are many ways you can dress these grits up, but we’re keeping it simple today!
Also, this is a “Dump and Start” recipe, which means you don’t need to cook any ingredients before adding them to the crock! So easy!
So What are Grits, Anyway?
- Grits are coarsely ground corn kernels, prepared by boiling with water and/or milk.
- You can also find hominy grits made from ground hominy.
- Grits are very Southern American, unless you are Italian. Then you are probably familiar with Polenta, which is a finer ground meal. The two are very similar, and are often used interchangeably.
Grits can be Yellow or White. I haven’t noticed a difference in taste.
Grits come in regular coarse ground or “long cooking” variety, as well as a quick cooking variety. This recipe is for the regular, longer cooking variety.
How to Make Slow Cooker Cheesy Grits Recipe
Add water or broth to the crock. Then pour in the heavy cream.
Add in some salt and some butter.
Pour the grits into the crock and give them a good stir. Stir them again after 2 hours.
Cook them until they are soft and creamy.
Stir in some milk if too thick. Add the cheese and then stir it in.
You can prepare grits on the stove much faster than in the crock pot, however, I love letting them cook low and slow all day, not having to watch them constantly.
I like that I don’t have to babysit the pot and can do other things while the grits are cooking! I only need to stir them twice.
Cheese Grits Are Even Better With Add-Ins
• There are so many tasty additions you can add in to cheese grits!
• Sautéed Shrimp, especially garlic shrimp.
• Sausage, either Italian bulk or Kielbasa, etc.
• Shredded rotisserie chicken
• Or whatever you like!
Slow Cooker Refried Beans
Crock Pot Zuppa Toscana Sausage Potato Soup
Slow Cooker Cranberry Sauce
Crock Pot Creamy Chicken Breasts
Crock Pot Mississippi Pot Roast
If you make these tasty crockpot Cheesy Grits, please let me know. Just leave a comment with a star rating below. I would like to know how this recipe worked for you!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Grits are creamy and cheesy, and make a delicious side dish or main dish.
- 4 cups Water (or low sodium chicken broth)
- 2 cups Heavy Cream (or half and half) plus more if needed
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1½ teaspoons Kosher Salt (or 1 teaspoon table salt) or to taste
- 2 cups Stone Ground Grits yellow or white (or other Long Cooking Grits) uncooked
- 2 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
Add the water, milk, butter, and salt to a . Stir.
Add the grits and stir.
Place the lid on and cook on High for 3-4 hours*, or until grits are cooked to desired doneness. Stir once after 1.5 hours and once again at 2.5 hours.
Before the end of cooking time, test for doneness and also add more cream or milk if too thick.
About 10 minutes before serving, stir in the cheese. Then taste and adjust salt, if needed.
*You can cook on Low for about 8 hours, but results are best on High for 3-4 hours.
RESOURCES TO MAKE Slow Cooker Cheesy Grits recipe and more
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
A Christmas tradition for our family! Grits are always perfect!
Jenny, what a great idea!
These grits we’re just right! I had them with meatloaf. I know that sounds weird but we don’t eat potatoes.